Something profound was going on beneath the surface, something that I would later come to understand as a dynamic principle at work. I began to notice it operating in the lives of people with whom I’d interact. But it took me a while to connect the dots on exactly what it was. I soon discovered that this principle has always been there but because of its subtle nature tends to remain hidden. It’s like gravity and wind—you can’t actually see them, but their effect is obvious. This powerful principle has been utilized by successful ‘dream seekers’ throughout time. It’s not complicated; it’s really very simple. Here it is:
“You Already Know Everyone You Need To Know.”
Before you balk at the simplicity of that statement, let it sink in a bit. I’m telling you it’s true. I’ve seen it work over and over again. Let me say it again.
“You Already Know Everyone You Need To Know.”
Please go back and read it once more, and this time read it aloud. You might say to yourself, “Okay, fine. Got it, next” or you might completely dismiss it as not important and totally miss out on how this principle can work for YOU.
- Don’t make the mistake of thinking you don’t already know enough people who can help you on your quest. It’s really not the best use of your time & energy to start sending e-mails out to people you don’t know or having lunches with strangers.
- If you really want to pursue a worthy goal or make a significant change in your life, don’t go external in your approach, go internal. Here’s what most people do: they start looking outside their “WHO” network thinking their success will be found “out there” somewhere. That doesn’t work! Don’t expect strangers or even acquaintances to care about you or your goals unless they perceive a desired benefit for themselves. On the other hand, the “caring quotient” goes way up as your relationships deepens. So cultivate your “field of dreams” with your family & friends.
- Better Relationships + Deeper Friendships = Success!
It’s “WHO Friday!” It’s going to be a Great day/Great weekend! Hope you agree! I’m Expecting/Looking for it! You?
Sometimes, however, we can get so busy in life/get caught up in the Friday Rush/Negative Circumstances that we “Miss Today.” Somehow miss all the “Greatness” right next to us!
As a result, we fall prey to listening to what I call “Self-Talk.” Have you heard any of these voices? The inner babble of “Your inferior,” “Your not good enough,” “You missed your opportunity,” or worse…”You don’t have what it takes.” Ever asked yourself, where do they come from? Are you going to continue to let them influence you? I hope your answer is an emphatic NO! Negative “Self-Talk” is an assault on your life. An assault on your happiness. An assault on your goals & dreams. It’s Crap! Don’t put up with it!
Unfortunately, most people are so accustomed to this “Self-Talk” that they don’t even notice it’s intrusion. They let it sneak in & ruin their potential for a Great/Happy day all because they allowed themself to listen/believe this negative clamor. I’m here to tell you; “It’s Not True!” So what can we do?
Here’s a few WHO-Tips;
- This “Self-Talk” needs to be filtered like SPAM! You need to take this Bull by the horns & bring it down. Self- discipline & self-control begins with controlling your own negative “Self-Talk.”
- Start observing/listening to what you’re telling yourself. Stop talking yourself into defeat. Instead, begin to speak in an affirming way to yourself. Trust me, you’ll like it better!
- The truly wonderful & amazing fact is that “YOU” have the incredible power to decide what “thoughts” you will think.
- Remember…most of the time the clamor that goes in our minds-those silly, pestering negative thoughts -just don’t pan out. In other words-“It’s Not True!” I guess some of them could become true at some point in the future but right now they’re just annoying little thoughts. Treat them like that!
- Here’s a valuable insight: “Most people listen to themselves instead of talk to themselves.” So make sure you start speaking “Out-Loud” to yourself! Yes, this might sound crazy, but the quickest way to transform your thoughts (mood) is to start speaking “Out-Loud”– Life affirming, hopeful, joyful words!
- Finally, when you find your thoughts wandering around in the dark trying to get you afraid & depressed–Turn On The Light! See yourself succeeding & enjoying living the dream! You’ll be amazed how well it works for you!
I’m looking forward to hear –that you had the best of days/weekends! Drop me a note! YouGotWHO! 🙂
Is it possible that you once dreamed of living a “different life” from the one you’re living now but just can’t remember that “something” for which you’re so uniquely and wonderfully wired? Today, many of us have gotten sidetracked and forgotten our “original dream.” This memory lapse has become epidemic for both young and old. We’re so busy dealing with job, economy, school and life issues that we’ve forgotten some of the “important things” so essential to who we truly are. If that statement resonates with you-don’t despair there’s hope!
- I wrote a book just for you! It took me 4 1/2 years to do it! I’ts a simple read! It’s called The Power of WHO! Get it! Read it. Let it sink in! If you don’t like to read books, I also did it personally on Audio for easy download to your ipod, ipad, iphone, etc.
- Take a few days off by yourself and clear your thoughts. This is best accomplished in a calm, quiet, soothing environment that inspires—a place where the constant noise of the regular world is not heard. Nature does that. Go to where you get inspired–Is it a lake, a mountain, stream or a forest? Is it out on the farm, the ranch or maybe you’re like me & love the sounds of the ocean? Take your mind back to where it all began, let go and begin to “dream out loud.” I call this a “wilderness journey.” Those of us who go discover new realities we were unaware even existed. On this journey, ask God to remind you what you always wanted to do. Bring a pad of paper-take notes. Yes, bring some inspiring music, but Disconnect from everything else. No phones, texting, emails, computers, TV’s, no people-just you out their soul-searching! Beware: the first day you won’t like being alone with yourself. Day two: your worried that you forgot how to listen to that still voice or that your not worthy to hear a voice. Day three: you begin to remember…grab your note pad! This is the beginning, the reset has begun, it’s the first day of your life!
- But…I’m too Busy! Bob, I don’t have time to do that? Of course you do! You just have to decide that enough is enough! Listen, if you want something you never had, you’re going to have to do some things you’ve never done! It’s only 3 days out of your life! Time away is the key. Nothing else I’ve found works. No exceptions. No excuses. It’s your life. Don’t miss the call, the purpose, destiny! The good news is –It’s just around the corner! Will you go?
- I had my opportunity! I missed it! Don’t worry, you’re never too late or too early to get back on the pathway to your dreams! All I need you to do is stand up, get out of the bunker, leave the rut behind! Your current circumstances do not disqualify you from your dream. Don’t listen to that lie!
- I’ve lost my Self-Esteem! Great, perfect, then let’s go get it back! Because, I’m here to tell you that “You’re a treasure chest of gifts/talents!” “You’re Awesome!” “You were created for maximum performance.” “You do one thing better than anyone else in the world” and you know it deep down inside! You just need… some time away to find it! Once you know the WHO and the WHAT-you’ll never be the same.
- I’m going to focus on the next generation! I hear that a lot! Many people have given up on their dreams and now focus in on their children’s dreams. If thats you, the only problem is this: when you quit on your dream–they’re watching and they’ll quit on their dream! It’s a Generational Curse. So, please… NEVER GIVE-UP! God needs you, We need you, You need you, Your kids need you!
I propose a 3 day “WHO Challenge!” Just three days out of your life. Make that first step! Make it for you–For your legacy. Then write me when your done about your Wilderness Journey! Ill blog about it! Get ready…Life will surprise you sometimes with something so wonderful you can’t believe it.
As CEO of Eastman & Beaudine, one of the major executive search firms in the country, I get calls every day from people who share their hurt after losing their job. Some tell me they didn’t even like their job, in fact, they felt they were tolerated and not celebrated in it. But… the thought that they were now
being outplaced, downsized, pink slipped, asked to take early retirement or even worse being fired caught them so off guard that they felt like they were hit by a brick. For many, it’s so disruptive and demoralizing that it becomes…too much to handle.
Today, there are still close to 14 million people out of a job–People all around you. Their world has been turned upside down. Who are these people? Do we care? Of course we do! They’re our friends, our family, neighbors, our sons and daughters coming home from the military as well as members at our local church. This problem hasn’t gone away and yet the newspapers don’t seem to talk about it much anymore, even though it impacts every family and community? How can that be?
So what exactly do You say to people when you hear they lost their job? What advice do you give a close, dear friend? Do you act as if it didn’t happen, thinking they would tell you if they really wanted to? Do you wait for them to reach out? Well, that might be ok if you’re just an acquaintance, but it’s not ok for friends… is it?!
What are they feeling? I can tell you from experience, they’re embarrassed & panicked. They’re thinking “What am I going to do now?” “Will I be able to find another job?” “What are people going to think about me?” These fear questions can paralyze people. They seem to lead them to the same emotional place: isolation and fear. When people feel threatened it becomes very difficult to tell ourselves the truth. A fog rolls in and takes residence in our minds and all of a
sudden–we’re not able to think clearly. So who do you turn to in a time of crisis? Friends or strangers? Unfortunately people aren’t turning to family & friends and they are the Key! It’s these loved ones that can step in and call a halt to fearful thinking and can intercept us on our dark path—they can remind us that we’re not alone, we’re not isolated and that we have a future and a hope!
So How Can You Help Your Friends? Here are FIVE tips to SHARE!
- Reach Out! Not by text or email-Call them or stop by their house. Tell them you heard of their situation, you’re sorry this has occurred but go ahead and shock them by saying: “Congratulations! This is the greatest day of your life!” Why? Because they now get to pick a job they truly Love, with people they Love, in a place they Love, where their family Loves it and where they can do it for all the right reasons. Best of all-You want to help! Set up a coffee/lunch to strategize next steps!
- In the meantime, tell them You want them to read a Special book that will encourage and help them called The Power of WHO! My hope is that you’ll Give them the Book! It’s a great declaration of friendship! I am always touched when someone sends or gives me a book. They won’t forget it! Sign it to them in the front of the book. Say something like this: “Friends are treasures! Thanks for your friendship & love all these years!! When I read this book, I thought about us! I’m All-In!”
- Teach & Review the 100/40 strategy that I outline in the book when you meet with them for lunch! Remind them: “You Already Know Everyone You Need To Know!” In fact, explain the amazing truth that “They already know someone right now who knows another person who will introduce them to the person they need to meet.” Tell them the Good News: No more colds calls, No more mass emails, No “networking groups” you have to go to where you’re forced to sit in pairs with people you have no connection with and talk about issues and problems in each other’s lives- Going to these is one notch above a sharp stick in the eye! It’s just about friends helping friends!
- When You make the “Extra Effort” to celebrate, encourage, and help others, it establishes stronger bonds of friendship. Each time you do it, it’s an investment that’s never wasted. And what your Friend desperately needs more than anything right now is encouragement from their trusted friend-YOU. They need you to put a firm hand on their shoulder to help stabilize them. They need you to remind them that they are a treasure chest of gifts and talents and that there are still greater things ahead for them! This is where family/friends can really make a difference in boosting morale! Your love helps them believe again!
- Finally- be a “Moment Maker!” Most people can recall that “One Special Person” who took timeout to help them and it turned their life around for the better. When someone you admire and respect believes in you, it changes everything. In the same way, there are people who look up to you. You have the power to open the door to someone’s dreams and goals just by believing in them and letting them know it! Help a Friend today! Reach out! Creating these extraordinary moments doesn’t cost you a dime, but I promise—it pays huge dividends!
Click SHARE— To “Help a Friend” in Need!
The world will try to distract you. If you’re not careful, you’ll actually forget “Who you are” and end up settling for a second- or third-best identity.
Perhaps it’s time to begin once again to remember . . . Remember what? That you’re a treasure chest filled with amazing talents, gifts, capabilities, dreams, aspirations, originality, passion, power, encouragement, and joy. That you’ve been designed for maximum performance. Love what Uta Hagen once said: “We must overcome the notion that we must be regular… it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre.”
1. You’re not mediocre! It’s Not True! Choose to turn off that negative self-talk and choose, instead, to think positive, creative, life-giving thoughts.
2. Start working today on your gifts/talents. Enjoy each step in the learning/growing process & be willing to pay the price.
3. Remember: there’s only one you. There may be lots of people who have influenced you even to the point that you’ve tried to emulate them, but…you’re totally unique. We need your gift! It will make a difference!
4. Don’t suppress your originality, uniqueness, and authenticity! If you do you’ll lose touch with your source of energy and natural creativity.
5. Follow the call. The inner voice. The Passion! Don’t be fooled into pursuing just position, power, & money, or you’ll miss out on the true treasures of peace, happiness, and a deep-down contentment. These are the things that truly satisfy.
You Got WHO!
When people start talking about their dreams & passions, they can get stirred up and excited. Sometimes, they may even get ahead of their competency. I love big dreams. They can’t be big enough for me. But I would be remiss if I didn’t say there is a hindrance here for many people. Everyone can see the end results of someone’s success, but few can comprehend the price they paid for the achievement.
I’ll never forget a call I got while I was conducting the Search for the Commissioner of Baseball. A man called and wanted to apply for the role since he read in the newspaper that I was doing the search. “Great!” I said. “What do you do?” “I work for Del Taco,” he said. “Interesting, are you the CEO of the company?” I asked. “Oh no,” he replied, “I work here in Dallas.” I was thinking, “Hmm, Del Taco isn’t headquartered in Dallas,” so I asked, “Are you the Regional President? Because as you know this is a pretty big job.” “No, sir,” he said. “I’m the food preparation manager in store #184. But please don’t let that fool you, because I really love baseball, and I’m sure I can do a better job than the guy who’s been doing it!” I thanked him and told him to go ahead and send me his résumé. But did he really expect to become commissioner of baseball?
- All jobs have competency standards that require a fundamental knowledge, ability, or expertise in a specific subject or skill set. Attaining these basic standards of competence requires a price to be paid. It takes study, practice, and a strong work ethic.
- It isn’t enough just being ambitious, opinionated, and having a heartfelt desire to achieve a dream. One doesn’t move from being a second lieutenant to a general without mastering the ranks in between. It takes proven competence and experience to be elevated to any high position.
- The mistake most people make is thinking you elevate yourself. But that’s not how it works. You’re elevated by others who believe in you. They recognize your gifting, talent, and competency. They also see in you some personal qualities they like and trust you will be successful.
- Of course, it’s usually helpful to already be working in the field where you would like to succeed. There are exceptions to every rule, but your odds of being the exception are astronomical.
- Start working on your gifts and talents now. Enjoy each step in the learning and growing process and be willing to pay the price.